Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ugly Gooey Cake

Let's just say that if you were setting this cake up on a date you'd first say, "I know this cake. It has a GREAT personality. I'd love to introduce you sometime." Not every cake can be fortunate enough to have a name like Red Velvet Cake. Sometimes you just have to use the adjectives that first come to mind. I don't know who named it but it's not too hard to figure out why it was named that. And so I present to you "Ugly Gooey Cake".

Don't be fooled. What it lacks in beauty and fame, it makes up for in taste and originality. This recipe has been sitting in my cookbook for about 5 years now. Someone at work brought it to one of those potluck lunches and I had to have the recipe. It's almost like a chess pie cake or blondie cheesecake brownie cake... but maybe that's why they just went with ugly gooey cake.

1 box yellow cake mix (No Pudding)
1 stick of butter
3 eggs
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
16 oz powdered sugar

In a large bowl combine cake mix, butter and 1 egg.
Press into a greased 9"x13"pan
In a separate bowl beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 2 eggs.
Pour mixture over crust and bake for 30-35 min.

The top of the cake will be be puffy and "ugly" golden brown when you remove it from the oven. As it cools it will fall considerably and/or crater.

It's one of those cakes you can only eat a little at a time. It's just a lot of sugar. I mean it's good. But it's a cake made out of cake. As if cake isn't enough. It seems so Seinfeld. "How did you make this cake?" "Well, I used a boxed cake mix and then added more stuff to it." "You made a cake out of cake?" "What?" "What?" (None of that will make sense if you aren't into the show... but where else can I ramble on and on but in my head and my own blog?)

Jody ate a piece with some coffee and gave it an "It's good. Good with Coffee." I think that's like a 4 star rating maybe on a scale somewhere. And I give it a solid B. Not a B- or a B+. solid B. I had mine with milk and then thought he's right... coffee would be good with this. So that's our serving suggestion.

Just so you can see what you're getting into, here's a close up of the ugly gooey cake.

1 comment:

Bo said...

Yum! I have had something similar to this and wish I had some of yours right now!!!!