Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cake Scratch Fever

Well, Well... Wouldn't you know my ambition is all ready being overshadowed by my lack of knowledge... but I guess it's all trial, error, and google! I REALLY wanted to try finding a simple cake recipe from scratch. Realizing that I had all of the ingredients on hand for this recipe, I decided to give it a whirl. That should've been my first hint... the ingredients seemed a bizarre combination... but hey, who was I to judge? I'd never made a cake from scratch. Trust your instincts, Lani. My first hiccup came when the instructions said to "sift the flour." That seems like a reasonable thing to do while baking except, I don't own a sifter. Enter the lap top stage left. "how do you sift flour without a sifter?" I scoured through a couple google offerings and decided that I could just whisk my flour and baking soda for now and add a sifter to my shopping list and an apron. Maybe that would have made all the difference... but I doubt it. Just after putting the cake in the oven, I sampled a bit of the batter. It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. It just was. I thought maybe something magical wood happen inside the oven.


After cooling, Jody and I grabbed some chocolate icing and milk and headed warily towards the cake. We took a bite. I waited on his response before saying anything. We agreed that although not overcooked, it was a bit crunchy. Dense. It was sweet. But not the buttery kind of taste from a box cake. It seemed alot like cornbread to me. Alas, he did not whisk me into his arms and sing my praises. That's the kind recipe I'm looking for. If you have it, let me know. I've got the fever. I've got it bad... Cake Scratch Fever!

No comments: