Saturday, January 16, 2010

Third Time's A Charm?

I ate a bite of the cake from yesterday and nearly choked because it had become very dense and dry overnight. Betty Crocker, your boxed super moist recipe has shamed me. But you haven't heard the last of me!

So, I decided I had to take one more day to work on the Haitian Cake recipe. I added a little oil in hopes of softening it up. Thankfully, it turned out the best so far. I even felt wild and crazy and made 3 cupcakes with some of the batter to see if that would work. So far so good. No custard texture or egg taste at all. But I'm curious about how it will taste tomorrow. Here you go... one for you, one for me. Don't eat it now though... we have to wait until tomorrow!

I also tried another recipe I found for Haitian Cake or as they called it "Gateau au Beurre." It was VERY similar but had some of the measurements were slightly off and this cake called for a little rum & lime zest. It seemed like a pound cake type desert from the picture so I baked it in a loaf pan. It was VERY good. Again, I'm anxious to see how it fairs overnight.

*** NOTE that both recipes leave out the steps to adding in the flavorings (i.e. vanilla /rum). I'm not sure how they were missed... but I have been adding them after the egg is mixed in. The consistency of the batter for both recipes is so thick. It's more like a cookie dough. So if the cake is still not working for me tomorrow I might try making COOKIES! Going back to the original recipe, I decided I might try Haitian Cake balls... so here they are right before I put them in the freezer.

I mixed the cake with lemon icing and am debating whether to dip them in chocolate or vanilla tomorrow. I just don't know if lemon and chocolate are a good combo. Let me know if you have any thoughts on that.

Anyway, feeling more and more confident that I can conquer this from scratch recipe... Third time's a charm, right?

No comments: