Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cinderella Cake

True story. When I was about 9 years old I was at my friend Amber's house. She wanted to go out to the trampoline and play "Cinderella." You know the drill... when your friend suggests the game, they always get to be the main character. It's an unspoken kid code. So you can only imagine the surprise my little heart felt when she assigned me the role of Cinderella! I bounced with all my might, singing my heart out in true princess fashion... AND THEN- she started beating me with a broom and yelling at me to clean the floors. She had clearly assumed the role of the evil stepmother. I had no other logical option at that point but to run for my life! With Amber close on my heals, I rushed inside and began blurting out the ordeal to our mothers. Before I could finish she stood opposite of me and began screaming, "NO I DIDN'T!" simultaneously pulling out a fistful of her fiery red hair. If the broom didn't scare me, that did. She was fierce! Somehow, we muddled through that grade school incident as friends and into much middle school mischief.

Tonight as I tried to think of what to make I was afraid it might be the impossible task. I still haven't made it to the store to stock up on baking supplies. I'm even running low on margarine. So what could I possibly pull together that would be blogworthy? Google hasn't failed me yet. Cinderella Cake

I donned my new apron and got to work. I substituted applesauce for oil after reading this article about using it as a healthy baking option. Seemd to work just fine. The whole process was so simple and mess free. I have to admit I was a little disappointed to walk away without a smudge!

Although the toothpick came out clean, I wish I would have cooked it about 3 minutes longer. The inside was a little more spongy than I prefer. Could've been the applesauce! I tried the coachman's icing they suggested and it worked pretty well. I would give this a C+. Not bad for throwing together some straggling ingredients but not a must for my next party either!

I feel really proud that I was able to make something work. So, I give myself an A for effort. Here's to childhood memories, using what you got, and Cinderella!



I'm guessing the pumpkin reference inspired the title "Cinderella Cake."

No comments: